Monday, September 10, 2007

Fashionista

OK, you can stop laughing now. Fashionista may be a little too over-the-top, but even still it turns out I may be a trendsetter here in L.A. No, really, stop laughing.

One of my biggest fears in moving here was that no one over a size 2 would even talk to me. Much to my surprise everyone has been really nice…even chatty with me. Sometimes too chatty. When I moved to New England, one of the things I had to do was toughen up a little. Now I need to soften up a little. People here will talk to a tree (I’m serious…I saw someone talk to a tree) and they’ll talk to me too.

So far I’ve met Morales, the guy who works at the car wash. Shaunda*** (there was more to her name I just can’t remember); who was so nice she offered me a job at the mall. And Omar and Mattie, the couple who bought my car dolly and then proceeded to move my stuff in the storage room for the next hour.

But the ones I’m most proud of was this super diva who stopped me at the Getty to ask me “Who is the maker of your bag?” It was a proud moment…not where did you get it…but who is the maker. She literally cringed when I told her I got it in Chinatown in New York. Oops…you can take the girl out of Texas, but not the Texas out of the girl.

And then there was the model type woman who was following me all around a jewelry store wanting to see what I was picking out because “I had good style”. Ahh, yes…perhaps I’ll make it here in LA after all.

2 comments:

Karen L. Mahon, Ed.D. said...

that is too good....see, we knew you'd take LA by storm!

Karen L. Mahon, Ed.D. said...

oh, one more thing (and since I'm from LA, i know this to be true)...ONLY YOU would make friends with the guy who works at the car wash!!! This is one GIANT step beyond bus friends.