Monday, March 10, 2008

The Glass Castle



It's a must read! I just finished it tonight. Oh my goodness. I can't decide...is it sad? is it sweet? Perhaps this book is the best description of bittersweet that I've ever seen. A memoir of a childhood spent in poverty, literally rummaging through trash for meals, but who was rich in love...love for family, reading and art.

I don't know what to think. Makes me wonder about the little girls I knew in Waco who slept under the kitchen table when it rained because their roof leaked so bad. Or the family I once knew who couldn't afford a lock and doorknob on their front door, but I once saw a pizza delivery guy dropping off 3 pizzas. Who doesn't have a doorknob and orders pizza? The mystery of poverty. Maybe they didn't need a doorknob because someone was always home. I always wondered.

The thing that strikes me most about the book is that it's so matter-of-fact. No blame, no self-pity...of course she was brought up that way -- to survive, to not feel sorry for herself -- but what strength of character to write a "tell all" book with such honor and dignity. Maybe she doesn't paint like her mom, or draw like her sister, but if you ask me this book, as well as her life, is a work of art!

1 comment:

Karen L. Mahon, Ed.D. said...

Oh, yes. We read this for book club...but apparently after you left. :(

Hey, don't forget to get the book for May bookclub! It's coming up soon!